Children's oral health is vitally important yet often overlooked in pediatric primary care. Dental caries in children is five times more common than asthma yet it is a preventable disease. Health care providers can play a crucial role in ensuring that infants and their parents adopt healthy oral habits.
The Oral Health module is provided through the Educating Practices In the Community (EPIC) program. A trainer (physician, dentist, or hygienist) will visit your practice at a time convenient for you and provide a brief presentation to you and provide a brief presentation to you and your entire staff on oral health in children.
- Recognize and understand the etiology of dental decay and its sequelae
- Learn to screen children for dental decay and bill for this service
- Be able to educate parents about how to prevent dental decay
- Understand when/how to use fluoride varnish to prevent dental decay and bill for this service
- Know when to refer children to the dentist
- Oral Health resources including a list of dentists in your community for referrals
- Certification to bill for dental exams and fluoride varnish application
- CME credits
- Lunch or snack
Learn more about EPIC or contact Maggy Morales to schedule a training session.