The School Health Assessment and Performance Evaluation (SHAPE) System is a free, interactive web-based system designed to improve school mental health accountability, excellence, and sustainability. SHAPE is hosted by the National Center for School Mental Health and funded in part by the US Department of Health and Human Services.
Schools and districts in Connecticut can access the SHAPE System and no-cost technical assistance and support for utilizing the system’s tools through a collaborative statewide partnership.
The collaborative partnership includes: CHDI, the CT Department of Children and Families (DCF), the State Department of Education (SDE), and the National Center for School Mental Health at the University of Maryland (host of the SHAPE System).
School districts can use SHAPE to:
- document what mental health services they have across multi-tiered systems of support in the district
- develop a uniform quality improvement process to understand school mental health strengths and needs throughout the district
- advance a data-driven mental health team process to advance strategic planning
- standardize the process of school-community mental health partnerships in their district, while still allowing schools to individualize services to their needs, and to
- achieve SHAPE recognition to increase opportunities for federal, state, and local grant funding.
Individual schools can use SHAPE to:
- document their school- and community-employed mental health staffing
- identify what services they have for specific problem areas across a multi-tiered system of support (MTSS)
- improve their universal screening practices, and to
- better partner with community mental health providers, in a manner that ensures that added services meet needs, and are complementary with and augment existing staff supports.
Quality performance indicators include: teaming, needs assessment/resource mapping, screening, evidence-based services and supports, evidence-based implementation, and student outcomes and data systems.
Sustainability assessment performance indicators include: funding and resources, resource utilization, system quality, documenting and reporting of impact, and system marketing and promotion.
Connecticut schools using the SHAPE system can access free technical support by contacting Jeana Bracey at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-679-1524.