Mobile Crisis FY 2023 Annual Report Now Available
The FY 2023 Annual Report for Connecticut's Mobile Crisis Intervention Services is now available!
Through a contract with the Connecticut Department of Children and Families, CHDI serves as the Performance Improvement Center for the State’s Mobile Crisis Services. In this role, we provide data analysis and reporting on the service's usage, frequency, response times, and youth outcomes, train Mobile Crisis clinicians, and work with providers to improve services. Since beginning our work with Mobile Crisis services in 2009, we have seen dramatic improvements in service access, quality, and outcomes.
The FY 2023 Annual Report is of particular interest because it explores the impact of the expansion to 24/7 coverage that began in January 2023.
Key highlights from the report include:
- Nearly 85% of mobile episodes received a response within 45 minutes, the highest rate since the start of the pandemic and an increase over FY 2022.
- Statewide, there was a 95% mobility rate, with all six regions exceeding the 90% mobility benchmark.
- Despite the expanded hours, there were 7.2% fewer calls requesting crisis intervention this year (16,322 calls in total) compared to FY 2022, which had seen volume increase for the first time since the start of the pandemic.
- However, there were 661 calls for Mobile Crisis resulting in 431 episodes of care during the new expanded hours, demonstrating the need for services on evenings and weekends. Volume during expanded hours was highest between 10pm - midnight and on weekend mornings.
- Most children were referred by schools (46.0%), self or family members (38.1%), or emergency departments (8.8%).
- Mobile Crisis continues to serve Black and Hispanic youth at a higher rate than they appear in the CT population. This is not considered a negative disparity, particularly if Mobile Crisis is reaching those who are underserved by other services. However, CHDI continuously monitors the program for racial differences and disparities to analyze and address with providers as needed.
Read the full FY 2023 Mobile Crisis Annual Report here.
Learn more about CHDI's work as Connecticut's Mobile Crisis Coordinating Center here.